Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Supplementary Retirement Account : Does it always work out better for you ?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 05:12 PM

lazyplane is on a distinguished road

I disagreed with the first post.
If someone is bad in investing, please do invest in SRS.
You save on tax which is like 10% upfront. And since that person is bad on investing, it better to lock it away then lose the money.

Yes, generally a higher income earner will save on a "higher" marginal tax. That part of SRS is true.

After some further thought, i suspect the issue is also maybe because the SRS faq used 10 years in investing and compared it to 10 years of withdrawal.

It is a different story if you invested 30 years where you get 1.03 ^30 x0.9 and forced to withdraw it within 10 year time frame. At 3% capital gain, i think the other benefits like 50% taxable and first 20k non taxable still offset so you end up saving more. But if you have a high capital gain of 12% , then the size of the SRS may grow to such a high amount it may not be so beneficial.

Anyone else care to shout out ?

Is there a limit to the size of SRS portfolio may grow to ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Have you read the following blog posts and their comments?

What’s not good about Supplementary Retirement Scheme (SRS) | Salary.sg - Your Salary in Singapore

Mr Wang Says So: The Supplementary Retirement Scheme

What I think is that in general, if you are a high earner you will benefit from SRS. But based on your analysis, it seems if a high earner who's also a very good investor may not benefit from the scheme.