Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 21-01-2017, 02:30 PM
Unregistered

Unlike the past, nowadays the newer HDB flats are well designed with good amenities around. And with a good and tasteful interior design, a HDB can easily rival condo and landed property living. I have been to my colleague's housewarming party (an HDB flat at Boon Keng) and I am very impressed with the design inside and outside. Only thing is that they don't have facilities and are not fenced up to make it more exclusive/private. Other than that I would be happy to stay in well made up HDB flat.

Condo living is good too. We have been living in condo for the past 20 years. No regrets moving into a condo. Really enjoyed and still enjoying the facilities such as swimming pool, tennis courts, gym, saunas, jacuzzis, barbecue facilities and many more. We felt the impact of the convenience of condo living as compared to HDB living the most, in the initial years.

When staying in HDB, we had to pack, and drive to a public pool only to find that its very crowded, or raining. It was very frustrating for us especially for my children. Basically we exercised less than we should when staying in HDB than in a condo. As another example, I would jog in a park nearby my HDB block. But when it rains, there goes my jogging. Now, I will still jog outside, but when it rains, I jog in the condo gym - maintaining my exercise regime.

As I play tennis regularly, staying in a HDB, meant my tennis kakis and I had to book whatever public courts available and drive there. Now I book the court in my condo and my kakis come over to play. In fact one of my other kakis now stay in another condo, so we have "home" and "away" games. Really fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wife 34, Husband 35 with 3 young kids. no car, no maid. No debts or loans.

Annual income- $170k
4 room Hdb flat- worth $440k in valuation (fully paid)
Combined CPF(OA+SA+MA) $343K
Combined Cash + Stocks $410K

We have seen peers around us upgrading to ECs & private condos, but find it too high a commitment. Even though our savings rate are not high due to having kids, we are still living quite comfortably within our means. We do indulge in holidays & restaurant meal at times...