Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 19-01-2017, 03:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes but it's difficult for two reasons. One, hardly anyone would hire you without the requisite and relevant PQE (3-5 years doing corporate work). Second, if you go in now as a 1st yearer, your knowledge and salary are both severely capped. It could be very tough if you want to transition back into practice later.

The upside is that because corporate roles at the lower level seem to be falling, it's your only way to get exposure to that kind of work.

May I ask why you think compliance is dead end?
I went into in house quite early into my career and many companies are expanding their legal teams to seek in houses in this climate.. They do welcome lawyers from private practice. The glut is going weigh heavier this year, hence I do suggest to make this in house move as soon as possible because a couple of years down, these same in house positions would be highly sought after and the newbies will accept the pay cut to settle.

I worked as an in house lawyer for a bank for a couple of years, worked closely with the Compliance department. They are not lawyers and (I might get flak for saying this) you might lose your prestige as a lawyer. Compliance department is more conformity based, loses the fluidity the law offers. Most people in compliance are people who have been shuffled around the bank; random back end office folks.