Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 15-01-2017, 05:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just my two cents:

It's tough. studied overseas at a uni that survived the cut. parents aren't rich and used most of their life savings for me. almost got a first, but didn't make the cut. i know some of my peers took non-law modules (ie like primary school level chinese language) to get an advantage. i went the more difficult route and took mods i felt would be most relevant in practice.

anyway, I didn't get retained in my firm where i was doing my training. lots of people in my batch didn't as well. ended up spamming apps and managed to get hired as an LA in some small firm. quickly realised i was there for the headcount and wasn't going to be taught anything. firm culture was also toxic and the boss had a bad history of cheating employees and LAs alike, so i bailed after a few months along with every LA the firm had. spammed apps again and managed to land in another small firm last year doing community law. hours are (too) good, prospects are not. still find myself doing a lot of self-teaching and learning through trial and error. boss seems good hearted and does not want anyone to go jobless. however, the firm does not seem to be making much money. bonus last year was almost negligible as was my increment. living in fear of losing my job since i don't have any connections and can't bring in clients. not like that would mean more pay for me, but i have no security whatsoever.

currently thinking of leaving the industry since i am quite afraid of doing this (ie desperately clawing on to my job by my fingernails) and being left immobile once the glut goes away, if it ever does so. really feels like i'm at the mercy of things not in my control. also feel terrible for not being able to pay back my folks fast enough.

fortunately i am christian, and prayer does ease the pain and fear.

hope that others in a similar position are doing ok.
sorry to hear about your situation. Have you considered in house positions? I do not think you should move to compliance, it is practically a dead end job a few years down the road.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app