Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 11:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks again. I would love to. The neverending news reports on salary increments at the senior level are definitely sexy. I always wondered what no experience law grads can do to get their foot in the door. Any tips on how to make the transition? Specific organisations to target?

I applied for the OCBC Young Bankers programme and specified that I wanted to do compliance, but I suspect I may be considered to have been working for too long (if they take my training period into account).

A recruiter I spoke to said I may have to take an initial pay cut, but if there's an income ladder to climb I think it may be taking one step back to take two steps forward.
Sure everyone's saying compliance is the place to be, given regulators have been clamping down on the banks post-2008. I think you should realise that once compliance is no longer as hot with Trump championing deregulation and as the glut in the market for law graduates dissipates, you will have been better off staying in the legal sector. Demand for compliance professionals is like an overbought security at the moment, it will slowly and surely retrace back to its normal levels.

Advice: Stay in law. Gain experience. Unless you genuinely want to do compliance. And you don't mind being treated like a second-class citizen in a bank, because compliance is no front office role.