Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 12:54 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sorry to hear that. You had a tough time.

My 2 cents worth that is that you should leave the industry. The legal industry can be downright exploitative, especially the small firms and solo practitioners but the large firms are just as ruthless.

Its a very archaic and non-progressive sector very often filled with old timer lawyers who think that they are entitled to treat their subordinates poorly. Forget about progressive HR practices, you'll be lucky if your boss is not borderline sociopathic and treats you like a decent human being.

You should have a look at other sectors. A decent corporate position will give you far better hours and quality of life with decent pay.
Thanks for the nice words. I'd like to think that I built up some resiliency from all this. Can't say I haven't been taken care of from above. My current firm isn't half as bad as the previous one. At least they pay honestly. I also do enjoy helping my desperate clients that one always encounters when practising community law. But at this point I'm working selfishly. I want more money in my bank account. I don't feel I'm incompetent or incapable of learning, but good opportunities and mentorship have been scarce.

Yup I'm thinking of teaching or doing something in the civil service purely for the security. I don't hate practice, but it's tough to grow without the right conditions and people to guide you. Then again I suppose this is quite a common problem for most young people.