Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 14-12-2016, 12:13 PM
Unregistered

That's really impressive!

But I hate to burst the bubble for potential applicants, this case is really atypical. Mid 3.5K to near 6K in 5 years is not impossible but very rare (even more rare in 3 years). Within each pay grade, your annual pay increment (MI) is more or less fixed with a small percentage band (go check it out if you don't believe). When you get a promotion, the increment is roughly double that (for lower pay grade). Without significant pay revision or Benchmarking, it is near impossible to have such big jumps in pay. And the thing is, most benchmarking to industry exercise has already been done recently. And going forward, given the dim outlook, not likely to have any more for the next few years at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeitwithapinchofsalt View Post
Nothing you read here is true because you havent give enough background to the job you are applying for. Different job clusters pays differently. Example: Engineering tends to pay better than Administrative sector for equivalent positions (in terms of what they require the job incumbent to perform)

It is possible to move from 3k to 6k in 5 years. I started 3 years ago at mid-3k (Pass with Merit Degree, NUS), I am about to hit 6k. (I am talking about gross salary - have not deduct CPF & other contributions). So it is possible.

Salary does not increase from Merit Increment (MI) only. If you were to refer to [email protected], they detailed down some components of salary, (e.g. MI, AVC, Promotion Increment, Salary Revision/Benchmarking etc.)

Also, do not focus your career on starting and projected future salary. If you want to join Civil/Public Service, your focus should be 1) how you can contribute in your job's capacity to the betterment of public service for Singapore and 2) skills and competencies you can learn and further enhanced to give yourself a fruitful career.

Nonetheless, I've provided myself as a case study for your reference. I hope you make an informed decision before joining us for our cause in the Civil/Public Service.

Good luck!