Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - URGENT advise needed :(
View Single Post
Old 13-12-2016, 01:53 PM
Unregistered

Don't blindly listen to what others have to say, without understanding more of the context behind it. Different industries, different departments, different landscapes... these play a huge part in determining the amount of increment that is reasonable to ask for, and the amount that is just plain ridiculous.

I had a friend who received a 60% increment, jumping from a UK bank to a German bank. Is this normal? If u knew his backstory of how he had stayed at the UK bank for 7 years and only received an effective increment of 4% each year, u'll understand why he got this increment amount.

If the above poster receives a 20+% increment every time he jumps, first off, congrats. My questions will be, what industry are u in? Are u in a client facing role? How many years experience do you have and how long do you stay at a role before moving?

Without understanding all these, it is impossible to use 20% as a benchmark without coming across as ignorant and arrogant to the hiring manager. For myself, I jump on an average of 12-14 months, and my expectations are between 10-15%. This is in line with the average in the banking space and usually falls within reason with the hiring managers for someone of my experience level.