Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 22-11-2016, 08:38 AM
Unregistered

Default the truth hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher View Post
I would say that as long as you have the conviction to want to effect changes and are able to show it through your pedagogies and classroom interactions, you will definitely be given the opportunity.

While the rest are right in saying that most teachers reject the position (or even look towards outside tuition to match the pay differences). I should remind you that teaching is really not for the money. You won't be able to sustain for long (or perhaps look towards tuition like what others mentioned), and the change you can make would be limited to the classroom you are in. However, the more responsibilities you have, the greater power you have to effect change. So it really depends on your priorities I guess. Do you see this as a job? or as part of your life?

in an ideal world where everything is perfect, i would agree with you. unfortunately the reality is otherwise. ever since a certain minister introduced the ranking and appraisal in the system, everybody is unwittingly pulled into a rat race. there are KPIs and performance bonus to protect. being 'student-centered' is reduced to a catch phrase. very often you see HODs and SHs engage in backbiting, politicking and wayang to propel themselves further.

and yes, Teaching Award recipients and scholarship holders have an accelerated track, similar to other ministries and statboards. they might not necessarily possess good classroom management or sound teaching pedagogy, but will still rise up to occupy those big seats. after which, they'll assign the best classes to themselves, and allocate difficult or academically less inclined classes to their underlings. that is why usually, the best or most adored teachers arent the SHs or HODs.

of course, there will be an occasional outlier who truly have the students' best interest at heart, but he/she will find himself/herself moving against a big tide.

not in for the money? the truth is teaching pays well. it wont make u rich, but it definitely will accord you a comfortable life. that is why there are many mid career candidates streaming in from various sectors. they come in with certain industry experience and background, plus lots of politicking skills.

i'm not trying to dissuade anybody from entering the teaching fraternity. by painting a real picture, i hope i can manage your expectations so that you are aware what lies ahead before you take the plunge. the attrition rate for new teachers is rather high because there's a mismatch between expectations and reality.