Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 20-10-2016, 04:57 PM
Orion9

I recently left my previous employment of near 6 years earlier this January out of desperation. There were some internal problems within the company which literally drove me out of the company. So anyway i thought finding a job shouldn't be a problem. Thinking i would probably be employed within a month or two but lo and behold it took till October for me to finally get a job.

It was tough. A gruelling 10 months of no income. My wife had to support me and I had to sell whatever favourite item i could find off on carousell so i could pay my bills. Earlier I also held back on looking for a part-time as I thought it wouldn't make much sense while I have years of working experience and at least a diploma to earn me a full time position somewhere. I was wrong. Resumes after resumes were sent to no avail on jobstreet and even other career pages as well as direct to companies. There were zero calls for an interview from anywhere.

In August, my luck took a slightly better turn. I finally decided to look for a part-time job and was lucky enough to find one of interest that I quickly signed up for. Later in the week, a couple of friends hooked me up with a recruiter from an auditing company and she was able to advise me how to beef up my resumes to better increase my prospect of getting hired. She also laced me up with an interview with the company for an available position. Out of desperation, I also paid like $50 to be part of a 'priority' list of jobseekers on jobstreet to increase my chances of getting hired. It didn't help poop.

Sometime in September i saw a position of interest with Republic Polytechnic. It was something i believed i could excel in and sincerely hoped i could get to. Lucky enough for me, they called a week after. I attended the interview wholeheartedly and expressed an intent desire to work with them. I placed all my bets on that job. I made it to the final interview and could only hope for the best. Earlier this week, i got a call from them with a job offer.

I hope you guys don't give up and keep searching.