Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 26-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Verified Member

bobo is on a distinguished road

Okay I know the answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, I'm a diploma holder with 1.5years working experience and currently at the crossroads of joining a reputable private school, with an ideal course for 2-3 years or entering local university (SMU) with any course I can get it for 4 years.

My results are not awesome, but not lousy to the extent I can't enter Local U, thats the thing:- GPA 3.4?
The longer you spend at uni, the better. Do the 4 yr course and in total you only did an extra yr at poly, but you can use that to your advantage when you apply for a job. There are no shortcuts.

Quote:
Question 1: Do Pte/Mnc/Govt companies look at which school you graduated from or do they simply look at the relevant degree you're in?
They look at the school first, relevant degree second. You have a relevant degree from timbatu uni, no point. But if you're from a gd uni, degree not so relevant, still possible.

Quote:
Question 2: Is there a huge difference in the salary commanded progressively if I were to enter a private university?
Assuming you are actually considered and this is a big assumption. Hell yes. Huge. Massive. Unless you're doing ACCA.

Quote:
Question 3: Do companies favour undergrads from local universities and if they dont, do they favour undergrads coming from any specific universities too?
Any good university. Slight edge towards top overseas universities.

Quote:
Hope you all could help as I am really desperate for an answer from the society and reality. Would appreciate honesty and transparency to help an inexperienced girl here. Do not want to go through unnecessary detours ):

Tks so much for answering!
If you qualified for a local uni, do not do yourself a disservice by going to a private school. Again, this is for jobs where qualifications do matter. If you want to be a financial consultant then it doesn't matter, it's about sales and they'll take anybody.