Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 13-10-2016, 10:32 PM
Unregistered

Default Invest according to your risk appetite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I see what you mean. Can I ask you some opinion about some list of investments. Don't mistake my intentions, I'm not criticising or anything, I just admire that you take risk to earn gains but you don't take too much risks so I just wanted to find learn more from you. What do you think of the following investment instruments? Just wanted some opinions from an experienced person like you. Thanks!

1. Blue-chip stocks e.g banks and telecoms

2. High-growth but risky stocks e.g tech stocks and new companies

3. Bonds e.g corporate bonds

4. ETF e.g STI ETF

5. Properties and REITs

6. Fixed deposit, savings plan and endowment plan
How one invest depends on how deep your pocket is, how urgent you need to grow your money and how much you are willing to accept. I am a firm believer that we should invest in ourselves first. We, ourselves, are our biggest asset in making money. Quitting working life early or young and you are wasting away your best asset.

That said, our human asset also decline in value as we aged. We must therefore build up other assets to generate income to eventually replace our human asset to cover our expenses in retirement.

I don't like to pinpoint any specific stocks or investment instruments lest I get blamed if things go wrong. My approach has been to spread my investment risk covering stocks, property and bonds and yes, even in CPF. Currently the 3 broad categories of investment are giving us almost equal amount of passive incomes. So there is hopefully one source to depend on for income should a market rout occurs.