Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 10:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
They will decide for you. However, if you prefer another type of institution you can indicate during the interview, they may or may not allow the change depending on nation's needs.
Thanks for the answer! That sounds dangerous. I took the Poly to Uni route. They aren't going to get me to teach JC just because the nation is in desperate need right?

Also, pretty much the entire 2nd paragraph from this page confused me:
nie.edu.sg/teacher-education/practicum/practicum-structure/pgde-pri-sec-jc-programme (add triple w. in front)
Quote:
The student teachers in the PGDE(Pri) and PGDE(Sec) programmes are equipped with the knowledge and skills to teach 2 – 3 primary school subjects, whilst the student teachers in the PGDE (JC) programme are equipped with the knowledge and skills to teach 1 subject at junior college level and 1 subject at secondary school level. The junior college teaching subject must be aligned to the secondary level teaching subject, with the exception of Economics. However, unlike the Dip Ed and BA/BSc(Ed) programmes, the PGDE student teachers do not need to offer academic subjects as they already come into the programme with the relevant content knowledge from their university training.
Just what do they mean by PGDE (Pri) and PGDE(Sec) equipped to teach 2-3 pri school subjects, while PGDE(JC) equipped to teach 1 JC subject and 1 Sec subject? This means PGDE(Sec) won't be taught the skills and knowledge to teach in any Secondary school subject? I don't know how to make sense out of this. And the last sentence of "do not need to offer academic subjects as they already come into the programme with the relevant content knowledge from their university training" - just what do they mean by this entire sentence?