Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 23-09-2016, 10:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I was the poster and i apologise for the poor English. I type on my phone and unfortunately i don't own a cool Galaxy Note or IP 7 plus. I don't have time to proofread because i already have many Agreements to proofread. All errors remain my own. I just want to state that i am happy with my post as long it brings across my message well enough.

I disagree with your analysis because i feel that you failed to give sufficient weight to the changing legal landscape. The legal market has changed so much that the average law student does not necessarily secure a legal services job. The pay has been on the down side. Employers do recognise that you need technical skills and not get awestruck because you are a NUS or SMU law grad.

I have taken my fair share of business school modules in Financial accounting and Finance. In fact i take a personal interest in them. I don't think they are as difficult as you put them to be. I aced them with relative ease. In fact, the feedback i got from my biz school friends is that you can survive easily without grasp of complicated concepts in biz sch as well.

Lastly, i relied on my fair share of muggers but i think you downplayed the importance of understanding the content of the muggers before you bring them into exams. Further i draw your attention to Nus plagarism policy when you said you just copied in the stuffs from seniors muggers.
Very uninformed. Foundational accounting for non-biz students is different from Foundational accounting for Biz students. The content is vastly different. You THINK you've taken a fair share of business modules and you know for sure business is easy? What a joke. I took full degree loads on both sides, averaging 24-28MCs per semester. You think accounting is all there is to business? Have you tried programming in excel VBA and writing Monte Carlo VAR codes with complex nested loops? Have you tried statistics?

Plagiarism? You make yourself sound like a fool (and I know you aren't). Law is a quasi science involving understanding basic legal rules and exceptions and applying them to the facts. Do you commit plagiarism each time you write the formula A^2 = B^2 + C^2? if I copy an essay written by someone, yes that's plagiarism. If I copy a paragraph from a set of notes setting out a basic proposition of law, calling that plagiarism is a stretch. Anyway, noone copies muggers wholesale. Common sense dictates that you can't afford to use the stock muggers without modification, or some fool will be churning out answers which are identical to yours.

Most students struggle with law because they have their priorities wrong when they study for exams. Professors superimpose their own academic interests on their students because that's what interests them. What they focus on is not necessarily what comes out in exams. And they tend to be myopic in scope during tutorials, whilst adopting a generalist approach when setting exam hypos. Blindly following a professor's focus is a surefire way to set oneself up for heartbreaking grades.

A student's duty is not to focus on the obscure points which their professors enjoy scrutinizing. A student's duty is to ace exams by obtaining a good bird's eye view of what matters within a specific area of practice. The next step is to tailor the mugger notes and halsbury resources to fit the structure of your thoughts and your navigational instincts. Then you practice hypos and train your hand to write affair as it can move. You train your penmanship as you own out your answers. You focus on overcoming all external risks which can affect your grades. You regularize your sleeping habits and find good sleeping pills your body responds to if you're predisposed to insomnia. Exams are not about studying hard. They are about developing an immaculate battle plan and managing risks. Every successful law student knows that the battle is won before the exam starts, NOT during the exam.

And I haven't been a law student for years. I do empathise with you, because when I graduated 6 years ago, jobs were abundant. Any fool with a borderline 2.1 from NUS law could get 4 offers from 4 Big4s. Times have changed, but that doesn't change the reality that our exam structure hasn't. The straightforward secrets to acing law exams have always been around, and anyone who applied them with a good degree of common sense would get a really strong second upper with very little effort. That's why it pains me to see people mugging their asses off and erring inferior grades.

Sorry if I've offended you. I was trained by an anal retentive mentor, and when I see junior lawyers writing poorly, it infuriates me. Operational hazard. I'm sorry.