Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 23-09-2016, 06:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Broadly, I do agree with your admonishment of the little kid. However, your English is oddly poor for a law student. I also take issue with your disparaging remarks about business school.

I took both law and business degrees under the 5 year double degree course in NUS, and in my personal experience, business was the tougher degree. Law was simple once you found the shortcuts. We had almost exclusively open book exams, so doing well on exams was simply a matter of navigating your muggers well and copying pre-prepared answers quickly. I aced most modules without much effort.

Business school however was a different ball game. It covered a huge variety of difficult topics such as management science, statistics, programming, economics and mathematical finance, each at a relatively advanced level. Each topic had its own unique demands and modus operandi for mugging. The need to readjust your mental capacities to tackle different subjects was challenging. Law exams really only ever used the IRAC principle.

And in Business school, you didn't have control of your own grades, due to the exposure that one might unfortunately suffer if grouped together with lazy or incompetent group mates. You sometimes had to put in the extra mile to carry the team. It was in no way easier than a law degree.

And at the end of the day, what does the average 2nd upper biz student get? A generic job starting at $3.5k. The average LLB 2.1? A significantly higher $5.5k starting pay at a big4. Within a few years, the bba grad will hit 5k and the law grad will hit 10k. I think law is a good degree to take. Easier to study for, shorter hours of study and much better financial rewards career-wise. Certainly if you compare a generic lawyer to a top first class BBA student who lands a Goldman IB job, law seems to fall short, but that's by no means a fair comparison. Unless you're an absolutely brilliant individual, you have to hedge your risks and plan on the assumption of an average cohort standing. If you do so, law comes out pretty much tops on all counts, regardless of which other degree you benchmark it against.

So to the little kid who's complaining about how boring the study of law is, I say please leave and give some other more deserving individual the chance. If you're having such a hard time studying and find yourself unable to enjoy life, you're probably not a talented law student anyway, and you probably won't find yourself doing very well in school or at work.
I was the poster and i apologise for the poor English. I type on my phone and unfortunately i don't own a cool Galaxy Note or IP 7 plus. I don't have time to proofread because i already have many Agreements to proofread. All errors remain my own. I just want to state that i am happy with my post as long it brings across my message well enough.

I disagree with your analysis because i feel that you failed to give sufficient weight to the changing legal landscape. The legal market has changed so much that the average law student does not necessarily secure a legal services job. The pay has been on the down side. Employers do recognise that you need technical skills and not get awestruck because you are a NUS or SMU law grad.

I have taken my fair share of business school modules in Financial accounting and Finance. In fact i take a personal interest in them. I don't think they are as difficult as you put them to be. I aced them with relative ease. In fact, the feedback i got from my biz school friends is that you can survive easily without grasp of complicated concepts in biz sch as well.

Lastly, i relied on my fair share of muggers but i think you downplayed the importance of understanding the content of the muggers before you bring them into exams. Further i draw your attention to Nus plagarism policy when you said you just copied in the stuffs from seniors muggers.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app