Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Ex-MOE Teachers
Thread: Ex-MOE Teachers
View Single Post
Old 21-09-2016, 08:16 PM
Unregistered

I am an ex-MOE teacher. Quit because I was truly burned out and depressed. Not because of the kids or the parents because strangely everyone always thinks that is the reason. The kids were the best part of the job. I was burned out by the workload.

Anyway, my original degree was from NUS so that gave me confidence that I can survive after quitting teaching. I went to do my Masters in a different vocation and the break revived me. I then went to work for some years in a private organisation.

Eventually quit the private organisation because I felt I had reached my limit of learning there and went on to re-join civil service.

Am very happy now. Excellent work life balance, good growth potential and with the free time after work, I volunteer as a tutor and feel fulfilled being able to work with the kids again on my own time and pace.

One thing I want to emphasise. Given that you have survived 3 years as a teacher, trust me when I say you can survive ANYWHERE! Truly the time and people management skills you gain in teaching absolutely valuable. When I went to the private organisation, I was astounded by how lacking in time and stress management skills some of my colleagues were. They also appeared very entitled to me. So have confidence in yourself. After the battlefield of teaching in a local school, everything else will seem like reservist duty.