Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 13-09-2016, 12:11 AM
enlightened dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_B View Post
Hi all,

I'm currently completing my core medical training in the UK. I am looking to move to Singapore in the next year and am currently applying for an employment post with the MOH. I understand that only after securing said post will I be considered for application to a residency programme.

Does anyone know what I can expect to be asked in this interview? I've just been told in very broad terms that I can expect some form of clinically related discussions and the interview will last 15-20 minutes.

Having never worked in Singapore previously but having considerable medical experience (in that I will have completed the equivalent to junior residency in internal medicine in the UK on application and have already completed MRCP UK) what is the likelihood of me actually being matched to a residency programme? I've heard it is not common for foreign doctors to be matched to a programme without a letter of recommendation from doctors within Singapore. Is this true?

My reasons for moving to Singapore are multifold and mostly involve decisions around my husband's employment (he is NOT a medic!) and quality of life. Having read this thread I'm becoming increasingly nervous at the move! Anyone out there with positive things to say about life as a junior doctor in Singapore?

(If I do gain the post of resident in internal medicine) What can I expect a typical day of work to be like? Despite long hours, do people feel they come out the other end a better doctor? I'm not workshy and the hospital I currently work in is one of the busiest in London. Working hard does not put me off, but I would like to feel like I'm actually learning something whilst doing it!

Thanks!
you will get pass the interview... almost every tom,dick and harry does because Singapore desperately need doctors here hence reports of third-world countries drs getting in easily with fake degrees. however, if you are trained in the west you will not get used to working life here as there is no work life balance, no matter how busy your previous london hospital may be... there is much to be said that more than half of the locals who studied in Australia/US/UK(to some extent given the lower pay) never return to Singapore to work, or return back to their country of study after working a period of time and realising what they are in for, forcing MOH to hire third-world countries drs who will never be qualified to work in the developed countries (US/UK/Aust) to pick up the slack...