Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 21-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo View Post
I have to say it sounds like the blind leading the blind in this thread with rubbish advice, inflated salaries and nonsensical discussions.

1. For fresh grads - High starting pay should not at all be one of your considerations. Why? - Because the annual increments and bonus in the civil service are not great. The high starting pay is because your skills are NON-TRANSFERABLE (ie. stuck) and you RETIRE EARLY. Also, many people find the work super boring. At some point, you'll find yourself out of conversation with your friends in Shenton Way.

2. It is useless to talk in terms of job titles. If you want to know roughly how much is the market, and how much a person is earning or you should be earning, take the starting pay, add $200 annual increment for each yr. You can expect a promotion once every three years - four years: add $1000 for each promotion.

Eg. Starting pay: $2500 + 2 promotions + 8 years experience annual increment
$2500 + $2000 + ($200x8) = $6100

Please remember that people often go a long long time without promotion (there can only be so many Directors) and $200 annual increment per year is on the generous side, unless you work in a bank. Conversely, there are people who get promoted three times in eight years, and these people can draw between $7000-$8000 but they are rare.

So if you look at these figures, you can understand what I mean by nonsensical discussion. If someone tells you he is drawing more than $5000 after working four or five years, he is likely to be talking rubbish, unless he managed to get promoted twice in four or five years. Please lah, give me a break.

3. The above is a rough guide. You also need to ask yourself "What kind of experience?" If you spend the last ten years in People's Association, MOM or LTA, you think this experience is valuable? Would you rather hire a person who spent 15 years in People's Association as a Manager or someone who spent the last five years in Merill Lynch? What kind of projects did you managed? Local, regional or global (all civil service experience is only local, unless you're with MFA)? What are the budgets that you managed - $50,000 or $5 mil? What sort of projects did you undertake?

FYI, I hire fresh grads. All are from reputable unis with 2nd upper and above. you don't have this, you don't even need to apply. RMIT, Curtin, this kind of junk can quickly remove from the pile of applications. How much are the fresh grads paid in my company? $2500-$2700, not $3000. This is a very fair deal considering you have ZERO experience, and that many graduates are taking $2100-$2500 salaries in small companies that pay poor, if any bonus.

No wonder the private sector job market is screwed with this kind of loser useless HR/Hiring Manager. "RMIT, Curtin, this kind of junk", once again, this speaks volumes on your upbringing.. So sad.. You have lived your life in vain..