Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Management Consultant MBB Big4 etc etc etc
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 02:38 AM
Unregistered

My sense is this is true for just about any consulting firms, not just smaller ones.

The market for strategy consulting in US / EU is larger because there are more clients who can pay for the service. The clients understand better the value of C-level consulting; I have met clients in ASEAN who don't understand why they have to pay for expert advice.

On the blocking-and-tackling of consulting, there are simply more data tracked that makes it easier to do analysis, unlike here in ASEAN (which can be frustrating... how can I value a market when I cannot confidently assume the # of potential users?)

The Western culture places more emphasis on work-life balance; when I was at MBB, my colleagues from other parts of the world often mentioned that I did the work of two consultants.

And there are plenty exit options should you decide to do something else. I.e., pay gap with industry pay is not as big as it is here.

BUT beware of the glass ceiling for foreigners in the Western world. It's less these days but it's still there. I know that several of my fellow b-school alumni who are non native speaker of English and worked in the US in consulting were dismissed because they spoke English with non-native accent. In their words, "you could not create a bond with your clients".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
am i right to say that it will be better to work in london or usa if one was to work in a smaller consulting firm rather than sg?