Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016, 01:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There were far Far FAR less candidates who failed part A even as recently as 2 years ago when the NUS law school still conducted part A and the NUS law profs actually lectured in person. Clearly the top notch quality of the NUS professors and the extremely rigourous syllabus spoke for itself. even the laziest overseas grad had no choice but to sit their a*s down and study.

now that the course has moved to SILE, with all online only lectures covering so much material in a touch and go sense, coupled with the unmotivation of UK and Australian grads who are used to cruising their way to a 2:1 with no bell curve and minimal effort for much of their undergrad career, is it any wonder that failure rates for Part A have skyrocketed in the past 2 years?
Lazy overseas grad here. I took Part A in 2013. It was still a while before the whole glut of lawyers issue surfaced, and we were all still chill about everything. I don't think the syllabus was "extremely rigourous" and I certainly did not "sit [my] a*s down and study". It was really just easier to pass. I remember the criminal law prof telling us that it was "so difficult to fail you have to actually try to fail". I don't think any of my classmates (mid-level UK university which is still on the list) failed, don't think any of us studied extremely rigourously also lol.

Then again, that was really a different time. And it's probably more difficult to learn when you are not required to go for face-to-face lessons.

As a side note, as of right now I honestly think my laziness has been cured by a fear of losing my job/financial stability/pissing off the partner/pissing off the client...