Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning?
View Single Post
Old 31-07-2016, 01:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, hope there are experienced HR pros can help me:

Recently due to reorg my bank retrenching my position. Under the policy 1 year = 1 month, I got 13 years service and should be entitled to a package of 13 months.

But when calculating the package my HR suddenly say I will not be entitle to full amount as the cap for retrenchment package is 300k. I dont remember got such thing and the HR girl clams it is new policy since early this year.

Is this legal in the first place? How can a bank just last minute change policy to cut cost just before they retrench?

Any HR pro can advise????
Most (if not all) companies have ceilings (as well as floors) to the amount of severance paid out. In general, severance policies may allow for x months of base salary per year of service rendered, subject to a minimum of y months and a maximum of z months. Very standard.

In your case, it sounds like your company may have set a ceiling in terms of dollar value rather than months. It is not illegal to have such a policy, and it is not illegal to amend this from time to time.