Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Expected salary compared to current salary
View Single Post
Old 23-07-2016, 06:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sijia_lim View Post
I went for interview with a company in the same industry and got a verbal offer from the hiring manager. Now HR is liaising with me regarding the package and they asked for my expected salary (I have given them my current payslip)

After researching on glassdoor I estimated the monthly salary for my position and years of experience in this company to be around 8k. However, my current salary in the current firm is only 5k (Feeling underpaid compared to industry was one of my reasons to jump).

Should I go ahead and quote 8k - which means a 60% raise? Would that be too unreasonable to ask?
Most likely you will be laughed at even if you quote 30% increase at 6.5k. Generally for mid careers 15-20% is the norm.

Dangers of saying 60% expectations is that the co. might drop you altogether, because they are going to think even if they offer 6k you are not committed and just want to use the offer to jump to another 8k job.