Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as kindergarten/early childhood teacher - Advise Please :)
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2016, 08:48 PM

chia188188 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Career as kindergarten/early childhood teacher - Advise Please :)

Hello,

I am a 33 year old man that has been jobless for 5 years. I have been jobless as I had met with a serious car accident in Malaysia at the age of 28 and has lost my memory for more than 3 years. it was only till I was 31 y o that's when I started ton regain my memory and certain percentage of my cognitive skills ( which is still lacking now)

I can be perceived to be someone of above average high calibre. here is my brief background:

O levels - 9 GCE O level distinctions. graduated from SJI
A levels - 4 GCE A levels. Graduated from National Junior College
University - NTU, Bachelor in Marketing with 2nd lower honours.

Despite graduating in 2007, I have started working in 2005 due to poor family background.

2005-2007 : $3200/mth as a tuition centre teacher

2007 : Immediately after graduation, I landed myself with a tuition centre from Korea based in Singapore. My starting salary is $5000/mth. Yes I am not bragging, because I deliver results. I got exponential salary increments year by year as the enrolment of my students kept increasing.

2008 : $6,000/mth (age 25)
2009 : $6,000/ mth (age 26, no increment due to economic crisis)
2010 : $6,500/mth (age 27) - became Department Manager
2011 : $7,500/mth (age 28) - I switched job to Mavis Tutorial Centre and was leading the Chemistry department then.

then bam, came my accident and turned my world upside down. I was hospitalised for a year and completely lost my memory and I am unable to work between the age 28 to 31 years old. The only consolation was that I am still alive.

My cognition and memory started improving at age 32 years old and I struggled very hard. I started out as a dishwasher with RE&S ($1,300/mth), then a waiter at jumbo seafood restaurant($1600/mth), then a driver for a wholesaler($1600/mth) and finally towards the start of this year, I managed to pick up some assignments from tution referral agencies like starzest and trust tuition agency and currently I am averaging $1,700+ for the first half of this year.

$1,700 for a 33 year old. its pathetic right? enough of my sob story.

I want to fight hard and stand back up again.

My question is what would you do if you were me. I really wanted to earn more so that I could buy my much desired house and catch up with my peers.

I am thinking of being a kindergarten teacher and starting out from ground zero again. I understand they pay a very low salary. but I am looking for a job with stability and room for growth

Can anyone please advise me what will be the salary of a university educated kindergarten teacher?

Also what is the retirement age for a kindergarten teacher?

I sincerely look forward to your advises.