Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career Advice Needed
View Single Post
Old 27-06-2016, 11:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdaddy View Post
Good evening all,

Really need some help here. Please advice me. I was in a SME finance firm for 2 years before I moved to the education industry. Pay is relatively higher now but compared to my peers in finance (mainly those in foreign banks), my pay is still about 3k take home.

My baby is born just a month ago, and when I calculate my finances, it is barely enough. I only get to save 50-100 bucks a month on good months.

I am a NUS economics grad, with CFA level 2. I am pondering if I should return to the finance side but am apprehensive. The reason I quit finance was because I was doing many meaningless things other than studying the markets which I love to do. Therefore decided to change to education to do something more meaningful and spend my free time studying the markets.

However, I must say that the possibility of getting a higher pay (so as to provide for my family) in certain financial institutions sometimes make me wonder if I should go back again, and if I do, where? will I be accepted then? will I need to start from zero again?

regards,
new daddy
3k take home means 3750 gross pay currently?

I doubt FI can even match your current pay. Your exp in SME and education industry is irrelevant and CFA L2 is nothing to shout about. In reality, you are as good as no exp fresh hire.

More or less all the FO and MO roles is out for you. MAP also not likely since they usually only accept up to 2 years work exp and your credentials dun look like the kind that can get in also.

That leaves BO. Now most BO operations jobs are on 1-2 years contract and although got chance for you, I dun think its worth take up a contractor position esp your baby coming out. Even if you get it, the jobs are mostly paying 2.7-3.2k with very little bonus, so end up pay cut also.

Last alternative is join branch sales or corp sales, but those also dun pay 3750 base for freshie and no kpi met means no bonus and termination.

TLDR; stay put in ur job.