Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 23-06-2016, 08:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
just wanna provide some tips and advice for SIM-UOL juniors. I always believe in letting people know harsh truths of life and it will in return provide the best learning lesson. Just look at all the good graduation speech delivered by successful people to their ivy league counterparts, absolutely no sugar coating at all. Its filled with harsh words and criticim in order to better prepare them.

I've always felt it is the school's flaw to not bring awareness to students about the tough competition for jobs, especially with participation of local u counterparts. Instead they went on to encourage and celebrate mediocrity and provide this fake bubble to students. I was lucky enough to be aware of the harsh truths of it.

I will not share much of my details sadly, i do not need to convince anyone but if just one person is willing to open up his or her mind to what i said, Ive done my part. The tips I provided are the things Ive done in my uni life (yes all4 points).

Here are some tips I can provide:

1) Job hunting begins first day you begin your degree. Tons of people only start this process at their final year which is too late.

You need the participation in sch activities and relevant CCAs(to demonstrate teamwork), competitions (to demonstrate you can work under pressure). So it is advisable to join relevant CCAs in your year 1 and 2. 1st year for member another year for exco. Within this 2 years u must strive to win something from competitions. Because competitions are usually at national level with local uni counterparts and professional judges, it is your rare shot to showcase you have a competitive edge at something. Key note here is Relevant CCAs

2) During your summer holidays and final year you have to do some form of part time job and internship. Yes final year you dont need to stay in your CCA. Convert to part time and work and study (to demonstrate hard work ethic) In UOL, we dont have the luxury like the local u students with much more holidays and breaks. They can afford to go on exchanges and holidays, we cant. If you are feeling gutted by this then dont regret or complain if you cant find a job. You do not need months of travelling to recharge yourself. Please wake up. The fact that you guys bother to come to this forum and read means you wanna make a change so just do it. Sacrifice the holidays, dont even bother with the exchange programe the school is providing. Get a job and gain some real world experience. Which leads me to my next point...

3) Whatever jobs you are in (even contract jobs in banks) you work your ass off and network with people. You dont have to be the most popular guy in the office. Just work hard and perform well for employers, they will remember you and even write a letter of recommendation for you. The more places you work, the more people you know from different organizations. Who gives a **** even if its admin/non relevant jobs. You clock work experiences like this during your life as a student so that when you graduate, you are a level higher. (of course dont be stupid to do all admin/basic jobs in your 3 years in UOL)

4) Hard skills. Thanks to UOL curriculum, we are absolutely in a disadvantageous position for this. For those who want a front office role in banking/finance I think it was mention in previous posts these are crucial. Financial modelling, CFA level 1, excel, bloomberg, understanding of financial instruments and jargons, FA and TA all these are to be understood and able to apply in the rather basic way. Likewise other jobs have their hardskills and it is your job to find out what they are and have an understanding for them. I think it is important to know which functions interest you and figure out what are the hard skills needed. Not going to spoon feed you guys but there are ways to have some basic form of understanding without actually securing internships/jobs.

Well at this point you may question if all these are actually doable, on top of that we still have to juggle with school. Thats the harsh truth I am trying to let you know. If the quality of degree isnt there , therefore we must do more to make up for it. While what i say doesnt necessary guarantee a job, but rather than sit and cry and waste time looking at every thread in this forum, why not try to make a change. If you are already in your year 2 and 3, just forget the CCAs and get a job, gain some real world experience and connections.

I remember my first year in school i consulted this career coach. She said to me " it is expected of UOL student to get FCH and gain working experience in yr 3 years, so dont come cry and bitch to her if i cannot get a job when i grad cause i failed to do any of it"

Lastly, I left out the part on writing a proper resume, brush up interview skills etc. Not going to spoonfeed you guys but you should know where to get those done.

Cant take what I mentioned above then dont go into finance.
huh? what's the big deal? tons of sim students did everything u mentioned

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app