Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 14-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Fruit View Post
Hi ,

I have completed my MD in Radiology from India in 2007 and working in a Tertiary care Hospital for the past 9 years . It is a public hospital where i am currently on the post of Associate Professor .

I wish to relocate to Singapore , may be permanently . I read the whole blog from 2009 till the last post ( took me 4 hours to read all ) and i have mixed feelings about it now.

Can someone tell me if I will get a Consultants post in Singapore . I am used to working long hours . Currently also , my work hours extend more than 14 hours per day as a radiologist.

I report approximately 20 CT scans and 20 MRI scans in a full working day and i barely find the time to leave my reporting console for much time.

What is the expected salary of a Radiologist in say SGH ? and how many work hours in a day ? How many leaves am i entitled to ?

What are the monthly compulsory expenses in singapore ?

1. House rent in a decent place
2. Health Insurance
3. Food
4. Cell Phone / Electricity bills
5. Child education fees
6. Entertainment : Movies / Clubs / Drinks ( I know that there are heavy taxes on alcohol )
7. Indemnity Insurance
8. Clothing
9. Any others which i may not be aware of.......

Any help would be highly appreciated .
I'm not in the medical industry but I can advise you on some of the expenses you wish to know about.

1) It depends if you wish to rent a single room in a flat, or a whole flat. Rental for a room in a HDB (government) flat around the vicinity of SGH (up to 2KM) is around $800. For a 3 bedroom flat, it can go up to $2800.

2) I believe your health and medical insurance will be covered by SGH as part of your employee benefits.

3) Depending on what you eat, SGH has staff canteen that offers food at a discount. I'm guessing $10-$12 to cover all 3 meals in a work day if you don't eat fancy food.

4) Cell phone bills $20. Utilities will depend on the type of accommodation you are renting.

5) Depends on how old is your child. This will be expensive for foreign children.

6) No clue on what your expected lifestyle and entertainment is, but movies here cost $10 per ticket, a mug of beer at a pub cost around $6.

7) No idea

8) There are very cheap options available at Little India and Geylang.