Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Pippa

Default be original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think it's actually great that you've taken such an interest in these topics. The legal profession is usually perceived as being cold and hard-nosed - we could always use a dose of idealism.

But I would just suggest absorbing a bit of pragmatism as well. These are not areas that get you employed so there's no point going on about how these areas are so wonderful. No UK firm would hire you to advise on these issues. Why would any self-respecting Englishman engage a Singaporean, from an admittedly illiberal democracy, to advise them on their democratic rights? You'd be a walking oxymoron. The unwritten UK constitution is also clearly very different from Singapore's written one so it would be hard to directly apply your knowledge to the Singapore context, assuming you decide to return.

You're kidding. Definitely not in London. City law firms are renowned for their long hours.

If you weren't thinking of joining a City firm, my question would be - do regional firms hire many foreigners? (I'm really asking. I've never come across a Singaporean practising in a regional firm).
thank you for the compliment.

to answer your points, I did not decide to do law to just make money. The UK syllabus is really amazing. the uni that im at fuses both politics and law so i get a really good mix. i do intend to go into finance but i don mind doing human rights work. if i practice in SG I would still maintain this mixture cos 3 out of the 5 international firms i hope to get into
have this areas of practice. whether or not they choose to implement this in the SG office is another topic for another day. but to give you a short summary it can be done if i do possess the right qualifications and convince them to have a department that attends to these types of cases. who's to say it can't happen? i have belief. i've always had the belief.

let me tell you. if you're a UK law grad and you want to work in UK, you can. you need the right skill sets and additional qualities. maybe london is where the money is. but if you try hard enough you can get into the regional firms. it boils down to how much you want it and the lengths you're willing to go to achieve your ambition.

with regards to your point about the differences in constitution etc. that's all just cosmetic excuses. the fact that i as a newbie entered this forum, said what i said and got a few riled up clearly shows one thing. if you ask the right questions, you get the right reactions. imagine if i were to question the top man why there are so many problems in the system. just imagine.