Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 01:55 AM
Pippa

Default truth be told

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you poor, poor thing. i don't think you've gone through the local uni's public law syllabus, or in fact, any of the other jurisdiction/uni's syllabuses to be able to make such a bold proposition. go read Thio Li Ann and Kevin Tan's Consti law textbook before making such an ignorant comment. Just because the UK syllabus opens your eyes to the flaws of Singapore's system in no way means that the Singapore uni's syllabus is lacking in any manner.

If you want a solid education, I'm sure any university within the top 50 (I'm just giving a ball park figure here) law schools worldwide would be able to give you one. If you want a solid education that has the most relevance and practicality in Singapore, your best bet is still nus & smu. Local firms still have a preference for local grads unless you're from one of the top UK unis or have a first class from the other overseas unis (which i've heard witnessed still pales in comparison to a good 2:2 NUS, i.e. 2:2 because of shitty grades in lame modules but has good/decent grades for important modules).
are you from NUS? lets not turn this into a 'local v UK based law student' thing.

I have friends in the local unis, Aussie, Canada and NZ law schools. i've seen their syllabus. It's nothing to shout about in comparison to the British syllabus.

First of all you assumed. Did you not know that assumption is the mom of all fark ups? The UK syllabus doesn't 'opens your eyes to the flaws of Singapore's system'. It makes you think about stuff and makes you compare both jurisdictions.

You then jumped the gun about 'solid education'. All I said was that in areas of constitutional and administrative law, public law, english legal system etc, UK unis would be ideal. Look back at my previous posts.

Who cares about local firms? i've got my whole life planned out. I'm gonna apply for british citizenship upon graduation and working for a bit.

The UK law schools offer a more holistic and complete teaching for the foundation of any law degree namely the area of constitutional law. I just went gaga when my lecturers encouraged us to read text from legal giants such as Sir Rupert Cross, Robert Hazell from UCL, A.V Dicey, Roger Masterman from Durham, Martin Loughlin from LSE and loads more.

I don't want to say too much. You clearly know very little. That's wonderful. Because the less you know that means better for me since I know more