Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Unregistered

Default I totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Typical Asian thinking.
1. I am no 1 in my class, therefore my salary should be the highest.
2. I graduated from the top universities, therefore everyone should kow tow to me.

In this era where you can just google, you'll notice that 50 percent of CEOs in the United States including many from S&P 500 do not graduate from the top schools i.e. Ivies. In Asia, the percentage is even higher.

In order to get to the very top of your profession:
1. Luck
2. Luck
3. Skill, hardwork and the willingness to do whatever it takes, including marketing, networking, playing office politics and backstabbing your opponents. If you are not willing to do this, just be content with your life.

The above is true no matter where you are. If you are from China then you should know Guan Xi is number 3,4,5 after luck and if you are from India then it should be the same. Bitching about reality does not change anything, it's just a waste of time.
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU. People tend to downplay luck as a huge factor, because they want to attribute their success to intrinsic skills, but after 12 years of working experience, I have to admit that luck is a huge factor. I agree with item 3 as well, especially office politics and sucking up to the right people: it does work, flattery DOES work, always, no matter what people say or want to think.