Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - DBS Graduate Associate Program
View Single Post
Old 28-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Signing bonus is a fallacy. At least I didn't hear anyone from my batch got it.

Most Ops GAs (me) leave Ops within the first 2 years.. moving into mid/front office.
Most IT GAs are really passionate about what they do so they stayed in IT.
SME/Retail GAs are doing generally doing sales and are constantly motivated by awards.

We are promoted every year.. Senior Associate at the end of 3rd year.
Increment at least once a year (this varies.. I get about 7% pa)

Pro:
-prestige and faster promotion
-higher starting pay (3.8k) than average fresh grads
-easier to enter than foreign banks and other MAPs
-internal mobile after 2 years

Con:
-we are second-class MAs..
-salary is considered on the low-side
-DBS GA aren't recognized outside... maybe only by OCBC? I been looking out for quite a while but no luck

Sometimes, I feel we are cheap and good labor, brainwashed to believe we are future leaders and hence ignore the low salary. My 5 cents.
The poster seems like a nice chap so I feel kinda bad saying what I'm going to say. But don't care, I still have to say my piece because there are quite a few fallacies in the quoted post.

1. No, there isn't confirmed promotion every year, and you are not guaranteed to rise to Senior Assoc by the end of your third year. You have to perform well to be promoted, that's that. The only round of promotion that is guaranteed for the GAs (and MAs) is from Analyst to Assoc at the end of second year.

2. If you are able to see the fact that GAP is much easier to get in than MAP or other foreign banks, then I think there isn't much to complain about the 3.8k starting pay. Because for a job that "is easier to enter", 3.8k is a pretty darn decent starting pay.

3. Once again, if you are able to see the fact that GAP is considerably easy to get, then there shouldn't be any qualms with being treated as "second class MAs" (MAP is indeed much more difficult to get in) or the fact that GAs are "not recognized outside".

Lastly, just want to state that DBS GAP is quite a good avenue for those who are interested to get a relatively good starting position in the banking industry. Furthermore, DBS is a pretty decent bank to start a career at, I don't think anyone can reasonably deny that.