Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 13-04-2016, 11:42 PM
Unregistered

I have a real question that I would hope someone might be able to answer not based on guesswork but facts and experience.

Please take this example:
A FRESH engineering undergrad who gets a job in public sector can get starting salary of around 3.5k or so. I am current a 2nd class uppers at NTU and let's say I decide not to go into the public sector yet, but would like to receive a much lower pay at around 2.5k because I would like to gain very valuable experience at a company first (please just take my words that it is really valuable) for maybe 3-5years.

After 3-5 years, if I would like to join the public sector using that valuable experience to have a bigger pay jump as compared to starting work straight in the public sector, how will they scale the salary? Will they take into consideration my 2nd class uppers and then add and scale the salary according to my valuable experience? Or will my 2nd class uppers no longer be considered and they will scale it to their own system(which can be disadvantageous to me since if I just join as a fresh grad, it might be more beneficial in the long run since my pay would have started fairly high at 3.5-4k).

It's a bit difficult to put it in words but I hope you guys could understand what I mean. Because the public sector has a rigid system, I am curious as to how they will scale the salary if I have really valuable experience.

Does anyone have any experience in such issues?

I really appreciate any help and would like to give my thanks in advance.