Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Sats gap
Thread: Sats gap
View Single Post
Old 13-04-2016, 09:03 AM
Unregistered

I joined SATS in 2005 when it was still part of the SIA group and into the early years when we were hived off into a separate entity. We shared the same culture back then as the rest of the group.

SATS has a few divisions - ground handling, catering, security, cruise... As a "generalist AO" (what you described) you can be placed in any function in any division from ops to marketing to account mgmt to HR to Admin etc and rotated every 2-3 years.

The learning curve was steep as you, a freshie, are immediately placed in a junior mgmt position and you have to manage these unionized staff who are old enough to be your parents. Most training was done on the job and those who lasted came out a more hardened bunch than millennials who now expect a structured training program. It forced a freshie like me to "grow up" and instill most of the work discipline that I have even until this day.

A new Brit GCEO (previously CEO of HSBC Singapore) took over a few years back and I heard that he brought some of his banking culture over. I'm not sure how it is like nowadays but my peers back then (now in their mid 30s) who stayed on are now Managers and Senior Managers.

Most importantly for millennials is that progression was slow then. You start off as an Exec and most make AM in 10 years (some not!), and a high flyer would do it in 5 years. This was accepted back then...