Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career in Engineering - Is it better now?
View Single Post
Old 27-02-2016, 11:33 AM
Verified Member

Path is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I treat it as your aversion to uncertainty. Only you would know yourself. But accounting and finance are also not exactly that soft since they deal with data and figures. Unless you're in business or sales where there are more fluffy empty talks in business networking and relationship building with customers.

OK.

Yes. Engineering is the same. And maybe still pays lower than accounting/finance. I have not heard of engineer with stable working hours, and if any machine breaks down over the weekend or in the wee hours of the morning, engineers are required to go down to take a look. They are like 24x7 on standby.

Engineering is the same. Do not assume it is something easier.You may be required to step in and resolve technical issues during a critical system breakdown. And you have management and customers breathing down your neck asking for updates every 30 minutes.

Flip through the current job listings in engineering. Pick maybe 10 to 20 random engineering jobs. Does any of them strikes you as interesting? If none, then you better think whether you really like anything in engineering.
Thanks for the insights. Perhaps I may be suffering from the "grass is greener on the other side" mentality.