Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - 31 yo liao no a levels/poly dip, online degree, no work exp
View Single Post
Old 24-02-2016, 12:13 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaklatliao View Post
hello, i am 31 yo liao, i dropped out of a levels/poly, then went on to do a completely online degree from the uk, afterwards realised cannot use it to find job in singapore. so i left singapore and worked in malaysia teaching english for 5 years. recently, i realised i am losing out and there is no future in this line so now i want to go back to sg to work on my office based career, i hope to earn 3-5k each month that is good enough for me, start a family, work in a stable job, save cpf for retirement.

i know my online diploma and degree are not recognised (although they are accredited uk degrees) so i decided to go back to school for the next 1-4 years then go into job market.

now i have been accepted into 2 courses.

1. james cook university singapore campus 1 year bachelors commerce degree (they gave me advanced standing of 2 years)

2. pursue a 4 year phd in hong kong (top 50 university in the world) with minimal student stipend.

which one do you think i should go after? my point of doing another degree is to cover my online degree and apply for jobs in sg, government jobs, or etc. i will only use the jcu degree after i graduate.

as for the phd, it is very enticing to give it a try but it is a long hard road, and my online degree will still be under it, will that affect my job search in sg if i graduate?

goal in life is just to find any business related job, best is banking or marketing, and earn 3-5k each month, start a family, settle down.
Maybe you should consider just coming back to Singapore and apply for an office job. As long as your expectations are reasonable (2-2.4k), should still be able to get a general desk bound job.

I don't think getting an unspecified PhD from South China will result in higher pay if end result is you are still going for normal office job like marketing executive or consumer banker. Seems like a waste of $$$ if you just want to get this kind of job and most likely over qualified.

As for the 1 year JCU cert that one is worse than even private universities like SIM, complete waste of time and at the end of the day I don't think it will increase your chance or pay.

WRT MNCs and civil service, I think you have to be realistic. Chances are honestly quite low irregardless of your choice unless it is more sales and business development type. Maybe when you have enough relevant working experience they are willing to consider you, but definitely not straight away with this kind of academics.