Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career in Engineering - Is it better now?
View Single Post
Old 21-02-2016, 12:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path View Post
My situation is quite unique actually.. I'm a new accountancy/finance graduate, and am in first year into my job. It is considered to be a decent job in the market.

However, I'm starting to wonder whether this is for me over the long term.. This is due to:
1) Personality: I somewhat feel that I'm a more "hard/technical/science" person, rather than a "soft/business/fluff" person. I'm not in any of the extreme ends, but slightly more towards the former. This causes a certain fit issue with my existing environment (not sure if it's a job nature, industry or company thing though).
I treat it as your aversion to uncertainty. Only you would know yourself. But accounting and finance are also not exactly that soft since they deal with data and figures. Unless you're in business or sales where there are more fluffy empty talks in business networking and relationship building with customers.

Quote:
2) Interest: I don't exactly hate what I'm doing.. but it doesn't interest me that much either.
OK.

Quote:
3) Hours: Hours are long; OT daily. --> But from the above, engineering is similar?
Yes. Engineering is the same. And maybe still pays lower than accounting/finance. I have not heard of engineer with stable working hours, and if any machine breaks down over the weekend or in the wee hours of the morning, engineers are required to go down to take a look. They are like 24x7 on standby.

Quote:
4) Pressure: High-pressure, fast-paced environment. Demanding boss.
Engineering is the same. Do not assume it is something easier.You may be required to step in and resolve technical issues during a critical system breakdown. And you have management and customers breathing down your neck asking for updates every 30 minutes.

Quote:
Just a note, I know that no job is perfect. Just that I want to weigh my options.. It can be a little late for me, but there's like 30 years ahead of me in my career. I don't want to regret only 10 years down the road..
Flip through the current job listings in engineering. Pick maybe 10 to 20 random engineering jobs. Does any of them strikes you as interesting? If none, then you better think whether you really like anything in engineering.