Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 16-02-2016, 09:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, I graduate from local university with a second upper honours in 2013. Worked as a manufacturing engineer for 2 years and then changed to an IT job which I am still currently working in. Thinking of changing to a civil service/public service job recently as I am seeking more balance in my career as I have a new born coming my way and the current job has horrendous working hours which will be a great challenge for me in taking care of my new born. I am currently drawing 4k at the moment and will like to know if I will have to take a pay cut if I changed to government sector. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Hello,

I don't think you will get a paycut, perhaps even a pay rise if you join some statutory boards as engineers (i.e. DSTA). If you enjoy engineering / operational work, just focus on roles in statutory boards. They offer roles that are align more to your interests and skillsets. Ministries' work are more administrative and writing-centric (i.e. policy proposals) in nature, which might not sit well with you.

Then again, hours may not be as cushy as it used to be during our parents' time (i.e. 80s) since the advent of emails and VPN connection offsite. However, I believe the benefits will come in handy for you, given the abundance of leaves i.e. childcare leave and some unrecorded leave, that will allow you to spend more time with your new born.

All the best in your endeavours in searching for a new role in the civil service or public sector. Jia You!