Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career in Engineering - Is it better now?
View Single Post
Old 14-02-2016, 05:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path View Post
Thanks for your comments.

I'm actually thinking of entering the engineering field.. Didn't know it's that bad still? Are there any bright spots around in engineering?

Also, based on the article by the above poster, $5k-7k per month after 5 years actually sounds good to me.. Is it common, though?
The guy who gave the estimate is Institution of Engineers Singapore's president. Sure some lucky ones at the top of the pile can make that kind of money. What we should be looking at is the average engineer, maybe at the 50% percentile.

In the private sector, unless you're in an MNC that takes engineering seriously and is willing to compensate fairly, other companies are simply cost-driven. It's really about how cheap you are willing to go.

In the public sector, most are project engineers or project managers who don't do the actual engineering work, but to manage the vendors who do the work. So don't be surprised if you don't find yourself doing engineering work as an "engineer" in the public sector.

I hope there are people who are more positive than me to chip in to give you a fairer assessment of engineering as a whole.