Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career in Engineering - Is it better now?
View Single Post
Old 14-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path View Post
I hear a lot about how Engineering isn't a good career in Singapore. This can be due to the low salary, lack of progression, poor environment, etc. Many of these factors are compared to the supposedly "better" jobs in banking/accounting/etc.

My question is, are what I heard above really true?
This is true. Long hours, low wage. Engineers are expected to take all these as the norm. Not for anyone looking for 8:30 am to 6 pm job.

Wages for many engineers get stuck at $4,000 to $5,000 unless one moves into project management, which is more management and not engineering. On average you can expect a $100 to $200 increment in monthly salary every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path View Post
There are lots of news regarding the Government encouraging Engineering as a career in Singapore. Further, I'm quite sure that there must be certain good places in engineering, right? Does anyone have experiences/stories to share (those that are not extremely unique situations)?
First off, are you planning to study engineering or you are already stuck with an engineering degree? If you still have the freedom to choose, you better think through carefully. Past and present engineers are not leaving engineering for no reason. Many are overworked, underpaid or under-appreciated. Believe in what is happening in reality. If you have friends and relatives who are or were engineers, talk to them to understand the challenges and miseries first hand. Engineering is a broad field, but currently it is a race to the bottom.