Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2016, 11:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think much has been said about Oseas law grads. Firstly, U.K. law exams are closed notes exams. That's a major difference with Sg law schools. Do a closed book law exam and you'll know that it's very difficult and require different set of skills. U.K. does not have a bell curve unlike sg law schools bcos its v simple. If u meet the standards of the professors who are marking the papers, then it's a first class. No questions asked. It's a different culture and one that is very much based on challenging yourself rather than beating your peers.

Secondly, u need to know that Singaporean students who go to uk universities to read law have their own set of challenges. What kind of challenges these are - you have to go through yourself to find out. Many bright individuals who go overseas to study, eventually they snap at some point in time because it's really difficult psychologically.

Thirdly, the 5% of FCH - in the local unis Singaporeans are the majority and they have 100% chance to be part of the 5%. In uk unis, and the uni that I'm from gives out only 7% of FCH - you are a minority fighting for the 7% of FCH. And they cannot give all the Singaporeans a first for that matter. So if u consider it carefully, it's harder to get a first class in the uk. 2:1 yes, but not first.

I would challenge the notion that a closed book law exam is difficult. As a local law student, we all did Contracts as a closed book paper, so we know how it was like.

Do an open-book exam on a bell curve, and you will see how difficult it is to get an A - against your equally brilliant peers. Even a B+ is no walk in the park.

Memorisation is about the easiest thing you can do.

In any case, you're defending the indefensible. It is generally agreed that it is easier to score a 2.1 or First in a UK university (Oxbridge aside) than in Singapore. They don't set quotas for Firsts for international or local students.

The simple fact is that there is no bell curve in the UK. The other simple fact is that the entry requirements to enter Singapore law school is higher than the majority of the UK schools. Put 2 and 2 together.