Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 31-01-2016, 01:26 AM
Verified Member

lifeistough is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for your comments!!

Do you guys think I'll struggle to get a good training contract (big 4, international firm) given my family situation? My dad is actually quite ups in the legal scene and my aunt is quite big in conveyancing. Based on connections I should be quite set but how important are connections really??? How do they select people? Like for example, would it make a diff to CC that my aunt works there?

I am quite confident of getting a cum laude, maybe magna if I make myself have no life.

Also, doesn't seem v fair that Oxbridge people get treated so highly. I actually know someone who didn't get both local law schools and got trinity at Cambridge. All comes down to your financing. But I Guess things are generally unfair haha...

Any comments on my original and follow-up questions???
Hello! I'm from SMU, from the graduating batch. Glad to hear that you're considering joining us. First off, this is probably a bad time to get into law; the number of students in each batch is increasing at a rapid rate (for example in SMU, my year has like ~100, the year below ~150, below that like ~180). This is compounded by the number of students from the UK.

There is also a marked grade DE-flation here, with only 2 summas in year below (compared to ~5 in my year, and the same for the years above).

That said though, it is not difficult to get a job in a big 4 here; a 3.5 (which is a cum laude), without more, will almost definitely land you an interview, and I personally know of people below cum laude who got into the big 4 and medium firms without connections (they did perform well at internships though). All of my fellow magnas got multiple offers, and the one guy in my year who got into CC will be graduating with a magna.

If you want ROI, then go for SMU (cheaper fees, equivalent job prospects in Singapore - not counting magic circle firms). I'd personally go for Oxbridge just for the brand name though - it really opens doors even outside of law. I hear the education there is top notch as well. This is not really the case here - last year we didn't have enough electives to go around! The seminar style of education is highly stressful, and does not consistently produce good students - some grads don't have basic legal knowledge, while some are amazing at everything.

Take the above with a pinch of salt as I cannot predict the state of the job market in 4-5 years!

If you'd like to know more, PM me