View Single Post
Old 29-01-2016, 09:35 PM
Unregistered

Default 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderer View Post
Hey guys!

Was just wondering something.

1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like going overseas for LLB is a fad. Other than some prestige and the fact that it is easy to get good grades, seems like there is no point?

2. Local law students seem to have the same opportunities (trainee contract, pay, Big 4 firms) as the overseas grads, barring a first from Oxbridge of course. The only way to really lose out is I guess UK grads with firsts probably make it into Magic Circle firms in Singapore much more easily, but I mean how often does that even happen anyway??

3. Law is not my first choice but I have an SMU offer for a double degree (w/ Accounting) so I am considering this option. Do you guys think I should drop the Accounting degree?

4. Also, my dad has quite a significant law practice and my aunt is at CC. If I do law, should I try to join my dad or try for a Big 4 firm? In terms of career progression I want to choose the best option. It would be nice to work for my dad but I don't want to ride on his coat-tails. I'm not even sure if I can take over his firm in the future seeing that they are expaning and have many capable people.

Anybody care to comment?
The only UK schools worth going are Oxford and Cambridge. Apart from that, local students are favoured in every law job in Singapore. Just look at e.g the firm which your aunt is in, CC. The Trainees they have taken in hail mostly from NUS, with the occasional Oxbridge and perhaps one from SMU. None from even UCL/LSE. You can confirm this with your aunt.

Most students will drop their double degree. But you don't have to decide now, can drop in your second year.

As for working for your dad or big 4, don't need to think about it so early, just try to do well in school and get at least a second uppers or magna cum laude, without which you will not be able to get into any decent firm anyway. So if you end up performing poorly in SMU, you have no choice but to join your dad. Can just take things as they come.