Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Bunker trader
Thread: Bunker trader
View Single Post
Old 29-01-2016, 06:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
at least they dare to dream and try to be successful. better than those after wasting 20 years of studying first thing is to hide in some civil servant paper pusher job till retire.
Lots are not adding to the OP's question so I try to give a few comments.

A few sides to the story actually. One side is that you can get in purely by qualifications. But you need to be at the top of your cohort. What would help is personality. In trading, the desk wants to know whether they can sit next to you and watch markets for 9 hours a day. You cannot be a irritant. It's good to be likeable.

So what would top of your game with personality mean? Top Ivy League US school, > 3.8 GPA, team leader of some sports team or club and know the basics of bid ask spread, forwards, contract, delta hedging. Is that you?

The other side is that yes, as someone mentioned, connections does help in this line. Say I started on the sell side and occsionally met up with this oil execution trader friend every month. We got to know each other, talked markets. Then when the team the oil trader is in is looking to bring in someone new, my friend may look to have me on board because 1) we click and 2) I know enough of the market to trade.

There's also one last avenue. Track record. At the very best, track record trumps qualifications and personality. The problem is that how will you be defining your track record? Opening S$10k on Phillips Futures doesn't work. Telling them of your deals as a market maker might help but hard if the company you're going to seeks alpha as there isn't a direct link between making markets and predicting broad price trends. Now, if you said that you managed a pool of cash from your family of friends amounting to S$500k and got a 7% return, they'll listen.

So try to work on any of these three - top qualifications with a personality, connections or a respectable track record.

For those new to the field, trading is broadly categorized as sell-side and buy-side. Sell-side is the market, they make the market and they profit from matching buy and sell orders. Buy-side are investors who buy something cheap and then sell it high.