Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Treasury executive or compliance associate?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 11:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by inapickle View Post
Hi everyone,

I need some help making a decision. I have recently been offered a Treasury exec position in a small commodities trading company, and a compliance associate position in a foreign bank. The Treasury role is focused on payments and settlement/ maintaining and opening of bank accounts/ assisting traders with financing. The compliance role is your standard kyc/aml/due diligence checks.

My ultimate goal is to break into equity research (currently doing CFA Level II). I'm having difficulty deciding which offer to accept. The Treasury role seems more interesting as it's in the commodities industry, but it does seem like it could be quite administrative with settlements and account openings. The compliance job is within a bank, where I could do some networking and eventually transfer to a research role, but it is a 1-yr contract role with no job security.

Please give me your opinions on which position is more suitable!
If you stay true to your ultimate goal... I would say go work for a brokerage (vickers,kim-eng etc). They take in an army of brokers every year from all sorta background.

Just so you know, most banks are shrinking their research team but I assumed you done your due diligence in picking this path.