Old 11-01-2016, 01:56 PM
Zulu1

Default Don't be discouraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantaghiro12 View Post
Hi Experts

Pls advise.

Started work in 2007 in a stat board as a diploma holder. Starting salary 1.8k
got my degree (pass degree, distant learning) in 2011. However till today, I have yet to use my degree.
My last diploma scheme was Technical Scheme grade 4, Principal Officer. Recently opted for the extended MX scheme, and was placed at MX 12, with no pay increment, $3.8k.

If I were to move to another stat board/ministry, how much pay can I expect?

Hi phantaghiro12,

As mentioned by some of the writers here, you have the operational experience which will be highly valued in many agencies. Academic qualifications are (in my opinion) only relevant especially for fresh graduates. But of course do take note of those roles which specifically ask for "good honours degree" or similar.

I was a poly grad and did my degree part time (but did final term overseas at actual uni) and faced many "silly" and doubtful questions by interviewers back then. I convinced them during my interviews and have since gone on to attain professional certifications in my field (rather than advanced academic qualifications).

In the recent speech by key Ministers, the civil and public service are trying to move away from strictly academic qualifications. That's a positive move.

If it helps to assure you, my last role was in MAS as a AD.

All the best!