Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2016, 05:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlee View Post
Hi all,

I'm so happy to have found this thread.

I've been in IT line for the past decade. I have some questions about switching to teaching as a career. Hope you guys can shed some light.

1) What are the challenges usually faced by teachers?
2) What motivates the teachers to push on?
3) I have very little teaching experience. Will MOE even consider me?
4) How do teachers plan their holiday? Any difference from 9-6 jobs?

TQ so much!!

Kevin
Challenges faced by teachers:
- High workload especially in your beginning years it takes time to gain competency.
- Probably will spend many weekends lesson planning in the first few years.
- That's why they have a three year bond.

Motivation:
- Your desire to help students succeed, and the joy of seeing them progress (esp. if bad kids turn good).

Teaching experience:
- Yes. But now it is more competitive to enter because of the lower recruitment numbers.
- You should be comfortable with public speaking and be ready to simulate teaching in front of the interviewers.
- Most likely you will be offered contract teaching for both MOE and yourself to gauge your suitability for teaching before entering NIE.

Holiday:
- Every school has its own policy, but about half of each holiday period tends to be protected time. In this sense, the number of days on leave per year is pretty high compared to the wider civil service.
- Downside is you can't choose when to take leave. Leave during school term is a nono. Tickets tend to be more expensive during school holidays too.