Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 26-12-2015, 03:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Dude. I'm the poster from #1531. Your analysis is out of whacked. First you quoted a statement that set out that given A and A is the same, then someone with a stronger B criterion would be selected. However, what you are simply implying is that all local uni (even the lousiest) students would definitely deliver the same quality or even better quality analysis than any SIM students (even the best). Hence, there would never be a need for employers to even look at criterion B. This is clear from your statement which states that SIM students are doomed since day 1. That is a generalisation and simply not true. Some people like me simply made a really bad mistake of partying hard and neglecting studies when we were young. Your statement doomed us for future success despite having another 20+ years of career run ahead of us? Though I have to concur with you that local uni credentials are much better given that SIM student does not do anything to improve our own odds. And that is not just networking and a bit of luck.

In SMU Masters for Applied Finance program, the first Singaporean who ever scored perfect GPA within the program was from SIM-UOL and currently works in a PE fund as an investment analyst. That wasn't too long ago, I think last year's batch and that person just graduated from SIM-UOL within the last few years. If you want to dig, you can call SMU or ask any of your friends who did the SMU MFA program. You can also find that person's profile if you do some linkedin digging. That SIM-UOL person positioned themselves into a good position due to hard work post grad, not just a bit of luck and networking. You may brush this off, but your statement kinda imply that any local uni students can get into a PE fund as and when they wish for it because SIM-UOL student cannot be within the industry other than luck and networking.

I know you have strong feelings against some of the disillusioned SIM students here, I do too, and there are definitely many loonies in this thread. However, your view that past success necessitates future success is dangerous. Correlation does not imply causation. Future success of any individual is not determined by first 21 years of hard work, but continuous hard work. Career is a marathon, not a sprint. We are just 1/3 into our pre-retirement life and 10% into our working career.

This is an internet forum and I have nothing to prove. I felt like I have said my piece. If continuous bashing of SIM-UOL student makes you happy, I'm glad you have found your happy place here. Hope you don't do that openly offline too. Cheers!

There is nothing "out of whacked". The "doomed from day 1" statement is simply true. By not accepting that, you are simply living in denial.

There are some traits you can automatically assume from university alone. An NUS grad is going to be an all-rounder, an NTU grad is going to have a vibrant hall life and strong ccas, an SMU grad is going to be able to do presentations well.

What can you assume from an SIM grad? That he has already failed and seeking a second chance?

Like it or not, that is the truth. Nobody is saying SIM grads are totally useless. People only get irritated when SIM grads keep thinking they are on par with local uni grads. They are simply much weaker.

An MFA is for people who wants to do a career switch. Nobody cares about a guy doing MFA getting perfect GPA. Thats because nobody from a local uni who majored in business or econs needs to do an MFA. Your classmates in MFA is simply weak from the get go.