Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 26-12-2015, 08:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm the poster you quoted. In no way did I intend to suggest that conditions now are the same as 5 years ago and I apologise if that seemed to be the case. My seniors (2-3 batches above, before the glut) could secure TCs very easily, with even non-cum laudes getting places in the big 4. Students of the same standard now can only realistically aim for places at small firms, and must work doubly hard to even stand a chance against the hundreds (literally!) of students from other schools. So while most of my batchmates do have TCs, they probably had a lot less leeway in choosing in which firm to join (most of us grab the first thing that comes along).
Out of curiosity, how many trainees do the big 4 recruit in a year?

I mean the easiest way to work out how easy or difficult the current market is at the moment is to look at the numbers. Assuming each big 4 takes in 40 a year, that is 160. Assuming the foreign law firms (Magic Circle, US firms) take in 10, other mid tiers like (Rodyk, TSMP, Lee&Lee etc) take in 100. That is a total number of less than 300 (extremely optimistic).

In one batch, the number of law students from overseas (Aus/UK) + NUS/SMU easily exceed 700-800, it is likely that students are less picky.

What I'm most fascinated is that I didn't know the small firms in Singapore could absorb a few hundred grads, that is truly unexpected!