Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 26-12-2015, 03:26 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wow!!!
After reading this, i feel those who took their "private degree" @ PSB, MDIS, SIM & etc had just burn their money away.

Can anyone from "private degree" rebut this guy/gal?
It's kind of demoralizing to hear.

Those from sales (i.e. property/ insurance) does NOT count.
Why? You just need O-Level. And sales is an art, not science. Anyone/anybody who is extrovert, brave & good communication skill, can do sales. If the person is good looking, even better.
What is there to rebut?

It's simple.

BE BETTER!

All he did was give insight on the profile of an above average SMU student. Lets run through every category he mentioned:

"Desire for a Job:"
If local university students start finding jobs at the start of their final year, private university students can always start searching for jobs earlier. Start on day 1.

Idk about NUS/NTU/SUTD but most SMU students take the internship at the end of year 3 very seriously, as if they are applying for a real job because they hope to convert that internship into a full-time job. This means that they are already finding their graduation job before they even apply for their end of year 3 internship, which is typically year 3 sem 1. Yup, so the majority of SMU students are already searching for their graduation job in year 3 sem 1 of a 4 year course. For certain competitive jobs like investment banking and management consulting, one needs to build up a competitive track record, which means you need to start planning the direction to build your portfolio latest by the start of year 2.

"Job Experience:"
Do internships that add more value.

This is also linked to your desire for a job, because a competitive internship as I mentioned earlier will require a good track record and ability to pass the interviews.

"On Campus Recruiting:"
Okay he mentioned that this is a killer but I think that if you are really better, you can overcome this. Even token recruitment has its limits.

The caveat is that you must really be better. You can apply to the firm directly. If I am an investment firm recruiter and you demonstrate that you can analyse and pitch stocks significantly better than the straight A double degree scholar from a better known university I might choose you even though I think that the other student has a better school name. But if both of you deliver roughly the same quality of analysis, then I would be inclined to recruit the person with a better school name/track record.

"Leadership Experience:"
He labelled the section as "leadership experience" but I think what he described was more about CCA records + overseas exchange. Overseas exchange aside, I believe that private uni students can also build up vibrant CCA records. He represented SMU and took up an exco position? I believe SIM students have similar opportunities.

All in all, the gist is simply to be better. Be so good that companies want you more than the other local uni grads.

Singapore has public libraries and free internet connection. Information that one needs to upgrade oneself is available to any Tom, Dick or Harry on the street! There is no excuse!