Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 19-12-2015, 12:20 PM
Unregistered

Default Rebut pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
To be honest, I think one reason why MOST SIM graduates don't get very well paying jobs comes down to these things

Desire for a Job:

Most of my friends who are in SIM only start looking for jobs AFTER they finish their final paper. Which means, they start looking for jobs in May each other. By that time, all that's left are jobs that no one wants. Hard truth is, local U students begin looking for jobs as soon as their final year start. Since August until now I've had 4 offers, calls for interviews and 2 more interviews lined up and these are reputable firms - Big4, JPM, GS and management consultancies.

Job Experience:

As much as SIM students want to believe that they are doing part-time therefore the 3 years of experience is very valued. It is not. There is a reason why almost every MAP states that you must be a graduate with less than 2 years of experience. And, most local U students have internship experiences with bigger firms. An SIM student probably has experience with a small local firm or a regional MNC but a local kid will probably have several internships with Fortune100 firms.

On Campus Recruiting:

This is pretty much a killer. Most firms do OCR at the 3 unis including SUTD and SIT. It's pretty much a relationship between the firm and school that they always go to the school to recruit even during bad times, do some token recruiting to maintain relationship. It's a deal breaker.

Leadership Experience:

I joined several CCAs, was part of an exco, did a 6 month exchange, 3 internships, represented the school in competition all the while maintaining a 2nd upper gpa. You may think this is good but to be honest, throw a rock at anyone in SMU, 33% chance you'll hit someone with better accolade than this.

And the most important point is the value of the network. It cannot be emphasized more that statistics are simply against SIM students here. NUS/NTU/SMU is more likely to produce a future senior management than SIM. It's simply a numbers game. You might think networking externally is good enough. But think about why people put their careers on hold to attend top15 MBA schools while taking on upwards of 150k debts? It's easier to get a job or sell a project when you were schoolmates with the CEO/MD than if it was some guy you met at a cocktail party.

My fellow batchmates will kill me for saying this but to be honest, getting into NUS/NTU/SMU is very hard but to graduate? You almost have to try to not graduate. There are some tough courses no doubt, but most of the time? The courses are very easy to pass. It's almost a given that if you test anything on the slides, everyone is gonna score full marks. It has reached the point where the professors set paper not to test whether you know your content or not but rather, catches you on stupid careless mistakes you make.
Wow!!!
After reading this, i feel those who took their "private degree" @ PSB, MDIS, SIM & etc had just burn their money away.

Can anyone from "private degree" rebut this guy/gal?
It's kind of demoralizing to hear.

Those from sales (i.e. property/ insurance) does NOT count.
Why? You just need O-Level. And sales is an art, not science. Anyone/anybody who is extrovert, brave & good communication skill, can do sales. If the person is good looking, even better.