Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 07:10 PM
Uncle J

Default Accumulating wealth vs. stuff

I am 53 years old semi retired and live on modest income. I live in a two bedroom condo with my wife and drive a 5 year old family sedan . I will continue to drive my car until COE expires and may down size to something like Ford Focus or Honda Civic. I spend 7,500 dollars a month that includes mortgage, car payment and all other expenses.

If you want to accumulate wealth, don't look at the people who are driving exotic cars or living in a expensive condos for inspiration. They look rich, act rich and talk rich. it takes discipline, courage and patience to accumulate wealth. When you see your colleagues bragging about the car they drive or the fancy watch they wear don't envy them. they are accumulating depreciating items. study property cycle and buy value. Live frugally , buy generic brands. surround yourself with like minded people who are inspired by real successful people, not pretending to be successful ones. Being wealthy is about having secured future for yourself and loved ones. Having enough can gives you peace of mind that can make you feel truly rich. you can achieve enough much faster if you limit your wants in your life. If buying stuff makes you happy, then you have to ask yourself serious question what is making you unhappy.

How much is my net worth? let's just say we are very comfortable.